Friday, February 18, 2011

One of those days...

Remember those days Cami Jones warned us about? Days that would be "challenging, difficult, stressful, and exhausting?"

Yeah.

Wednesday was one of those days.

I was excited and nervous because I was having my first observation by my supervisor. I had put a lot of thought and care into my lesson, and I felt good going into it, despite that it was a phonics lesson and the kids hate phonics. This is why I tried to include some activities that would be F-U-N. Big mistake, I guess. The kids were the worst behaved than they have ever been, and that is not just my opinion. My cooperating teacher said the same thing. I cannot help but feeling like a failure. I tried all the little attention-getting techniques that I have seen Mrs. A use, and I even added in some of my own, but the kids never stopped talking, touching each other, moving out of their seats, not following directions, etc. I am just glad I made it through the lesson. I spent the last hour of the school day in the conference room crying, but my supervisor, cooperating teacher, and even the secretary were all so encouraging. I guess I learned that I need to be more strict, and next time I may not tell them in advance that an observer is coming. Tomorrow is a new day..

1 comment:

  1. You've got this! Failing now and then just helps us improve. You're going to be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete