Thursday, February 24, 2011

The BEST Day

Quote of the day: J- “Do you have a baby?” Me- “No.” J- “You need a baby.”


Yesterday was probably the best day I have had as an intern so far! I had my second observation by my supervisor, and it was one hundred times better than the first! It was like a complete transformation! This process has definitely shown me the power of effective and consistent classroom management. That is a lesson I will never forget. For my lesson, I read the book If You Give a Cat a Cupcake since the letter of the week is C. Then I let the students help me mix the ingredients to actually make cupcakes! (We talked about how recipes are a special kind of writing as well as different tools to use when measuring.) I was so glad to have a sub in the room with me, because she was able to take the cupcakes down the hall and put them in the oven as I continued on with the lesson. After we mixed all the ingredients, we wrote our very own class recipe for a pretend pizza. I told the kids to be creative… their list of ingredients included chocolate chips, sprinkles, pepperonis, and... eyeballs? I was worried that they might get too excited during the lesson because it was so hands-on, so I thought of everything that could have possibly gone wrong and planned for it. I set my expectations up front, and I followed through. I would not say that it was perfect, because I know I can always improve. But I was so happy with the way things went. I feel like I have come so far! Today we iced the cupcakes and ate them during snack time. They were yummy!


One more day of solo week and only 6 more days in this rotation... I can't believe it!


-Miss Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment