Thursday, January 27, 2011

Certified to teach: Band 6-12 and Rubik's cube

Quote of the day:

6th grade horn player: "Miss Jones, are you going to teach us every day?"
Me: "No, I'm not. Your teacher would be very sad if I stole you all from him. He likes you guys."
Different 6th grade horn player: "But we like you more!"

Needless to say, I smiled when the girl said this. I'm glad that I'm well-liked... with this group, at least. I really relate to the 6th and 7th graders the best. They're just a fun group, and I love being able to teach them.

I taught the 6th grade percussionists again today, and had a few discipline issues for the first time. I finally had to threaten them by saying that if they did not stop talking and playing when I was trying to talk, then I would take their sticks away from them and we would sit quietly for the rest of class. That seemed to work... mostly. I'm still working on discipline.

I mentioned to a high school percussionist on Monday that I'm able to work a Rubik's cube, because I saw that he had his out. I didn't remember that, but he approached me today after school and asked me to help him finish working the cube. He had two layers of it done, and needed to finish the third. So I gave him a quick five-minute lesson on the last few steps he needed, and he solved the Rubik's cube. He was so happy that it was done. He ran around the room holding it in the air and shouting, "I solved the Rubik's cube! It took me three weeks, but I solved the Rubik's cube!" He thanked me profusely, then introduced himself. This is a new way of bonding with students that I hadn't tried yet, but it seems to be quite effective. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment