Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gorman gets in the game...

Dialogue of the day:
(background: Asst. Principal's daughter  is on a team that I am coaching)
(this is a conversation between the Asst. Principal and another coach)

Asst. Principal: "My daughter had something stolen out of her purse, and I know who did it"
Coach: "How do you know?"
A.P: "I heard (student 1) telling (student 2) that (student 3) did it!"
Coach: "Oh...what was stolen?"
A.P: "Tampons!... 3 of them... And they were the NICE kind!"
Coach: "Does that really matter?"
AP: (stopped and snapped): "Yes it does!"

So, Friday was a bit different from the norm as I was able to discover the difference between coaching girls sports and boys sports.  Drills stop for hair adjustments, contact is avoided at all costs, non-relevant  comments to one another during play is strategic and the  and also was able to encounter a administrator/ mother who was a bit over the top.  (Nothing new to my CT's)  The coaches office became a detective's headquarters and all the coaches were being employed by the AP to find out who the culprit was.  I found an opportunity to slide out and avoid the rest of the Tampon Tragedy, and went and started our 6th period classes! Interesting experience starting 70 six graders in PE by yourself, but I reasoned that it was better than hunting down the culprit and "discovering the reason for the crime."  I didnt want to overstep my bounds, but Im pretty sure someone without a Ph.D could reason as to why they were taken.   Apparently the rest of the coaches solved the dilemma to satisfaction and returned to class shortly.  We finished out the class and then I headed over to athletics for the varsity football team.  We pushed (dragged) them through a circuit workout and had them perform as many reps in 30 seconds as they could for 3 sets per major lift.  It achieved its purpose.   :)

I love it up at Bryant.  Great school, great people to work alongside, I really am enjoying it.  The fact that my clock says 5 when the alarm goes off is a bit taxing, but its worth it!  More to come later!

Coach Gorman

No comments:

Post a Comment