Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A day of my firsts in first grade...

Today was the day of many firsts. I had my first team meeting that lasted for over an hour and was super fun. (If you can’t tell I am being very sarcastic). I disciplined a student for the first time. Well, actually two students. Time off of recess will really make a student straighten up. I administered my first DIBELS test to two students. That was pretty neat. I had lunch and my first recess duty. During recess duty I had a helper that volunteered to fill me in on all the recess rules. She came up to me and said, “Mrs. Smith, this is your first time on the playground so you don’t know the rules. That’s why I am going to help you today”. She then went on to tell me all the rules and act out scenarios of student confrontations on the playground that have happened before and how the teachers handled them. After each example I thanked her for being so helpful to me. About 10 minutes into recess two little friends ran up to my “helper” and said, “Come play with us.” My helper replied with a very sad voice, “ I am helping Mrs. Smith today, she doesn’t know what to do on the playground.” I then said, “ You know what Autumn, if you want to go play I will definitely come find you if I have a question or need some help.” She got a really big smile on her face and ran away. I loved how she thought it was her obligation or duty to help me out, I guess I looked lost or something out there. J I really do have a wonderful class. I am now in charge of three things, not very big things. I lead/ monitor browse box time, read-alouds, and book club (shared reading in small groups). So far so good in first grade!!! I love doing what I know God wants me to do, it’s a very great feeling.

3 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! I love that she was so dedicated to teaching you what to do. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! :D I'm trying to get my name in the system so I can blog, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! I love keeping up with you ladies, and all your wonderful growing experiences!

    ReplyDelete