Monday, January 24, 2011

I don't play snare drum.

That was basically the theme for today... I don't play snare drum.

Quote of the day:
6th grade percussionist: "Miss Jones, did you play percussion in school?"
Me: "No! I play French horn."
6th grade percussionist: "I can tell..."

I got to teach the sixth grade percussion class today. Percussion is my biggest area of weakness, so I've been nervous about this ever since I found out about it on Thursday. I spent a lot of time yesterday going over the exercises, reviewing concepts, and practicing the counting system Lake Hamilton uses (it's different from what I learned), but when I got on the podium to start, I instantly forgot everything I knew. I knew all the students' names, so that was a plus... but in my opinion, that's the only good thing I did. I kept goofing up the counting (you try saying "one-tee-te-ta two-te quarter four-te one-te-ta two-tee-te quarter rest" while clapping at 120 beats per minute), I was unable to demonstrate concepts for them, and I moved way too fast, completely missing that there were students that were behind. I'm teaching them tomorrow and Wednesday as well. Hopefully, after lots of studying, I'll be able to redeem myself.

I was able to help the percussionists during the seventh grade band, though. I helped a kid figure out how to hold the triangle (although he kept forgetting, no matter how many times I reminded him to hold it higher) and taught him how to roll on it, and I helped the woodblock player with counting rests. I also got on to them for talking several times. It made me feel important. :)

So, to any music ed majors reading this-- the lesson to be learned: pay close attention in percussion methods. It'll creep up on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment